Maces date from at least 1200 as heavy weapons borne by Sergeants-at-Arms meant to protect the King’s person. By the 14th century maces had become purely ceremonial, and increasingly decorative, symbols of royal or other institutional authority. The University Mace is a symbol of the Office of the President.
The University Marshal has, in all official academic processions, the honor to serve as Mace Bearer. The University Mace was first used at the graduation of the charter class in 1982. The Mace depicts the University Seal and its crowning ornament is a large brass orb. Engraved upon a brass band encircling the mace pillar are the words: “Educating Health Care Professionals in the Osteopathic Tradition.” The founding year of the University, 1977, is engraved on another band in Roman numerals, “MCMLXXVII.” When not in use, the mace is on permanent display in the President’s Office.